SIG Skylights Glass Replacement
The SIG Fixed Skylight has been specifically designed for ease of replacement of the insulated glass by the pro or the Do-It-Yourselfer.
1. Remove the 4 or 6 screws that hold the bronze cap (B) to the curb (C).
2. A small amount of silicon sealant just under the bronze cap and on top of the glass (D) help hold the glass and cap in place. If raising gently on the cap will not break this seal, release the cap from the skylight by using a putty knife to slide on top of the glass and under the cap.
3. With the cap removed, locate the double stick tape that holds the glass to the curb (E). Insert the blade of a razor knife between the curb and the glass and cut the tape releasing the glass from the curb.
4. Using a putty knife, scrape all excess tape from the surface of the curb. Take care not to damage the aluminum on the curb as this could cause problems later.
5. DO NOT REMOVE PROTECTIVE PAPER FROM DOUBLE STICK TAPE AT THIS TIME.
6. Apply the new double stick tape to the top of the curb, making sure to overlap the corners.
7. With the protective paper still intact on the tape, set the glass, laminated side down, (laminated glass optional), on top of the curb and ensure that the glass sits properly on the curb so that the cap will slide back in place. With the glass lined up properly on the curb, slide the glass approximately six (6) inches up the curb revealing the tape and protective paper. Remove the protective paper along the bottom and up both sides for only the six (6) inches that are exposed. Raising the bottom of the glass slightly so as not to stick to the tape, slide the glass back down on the curb, ensuring that the glass is still properly aligned all the way around. Press the glass to the tape firmly. This will help hold the glass in place temporarily. Next, raise the opposite end of the glass just enough to remove the protective paper from the tape and press the glass firmly in place.
8. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOVE THE GLASS ONCE IN PLACE
9. Before replacing the cap on the skylight, clean the old silicone from inside the cap at the four corners. Put a small spot of silicone approximately one inch from each corner. Set the cap back in place on the skylight and replace the screws in the same holes and tighten.